Over a Billion people worldwide stay in touch with their family and friends by using Social Networking sites. They all share personal experiences, photographs and even videos. In many ways it as replaced the email and telephone! Even to a point, it has become a way of life for many people. You need to know the “Ins and outs and the does and don’ts” in order to be confident and safe while using it.
So Let’s Get Started.
• Never give out any private information when Social Networking.
• Always be careful who you invite or accept invitations from.
• When clicking on to links in your email or Social Networking post, also be careful.
Any decent business today, uses various Social Networking sites as a valuable tool to extend their contacts and deliver marketing messages. Having a massive base of users who are unknown to you is the nature of Social Networking, but it comes with various risks.
The Risks Being:
• The giving of private information by either yourself or friends/contacts.
• Potential bullying.
• Strangers cyber-stalking you.
• Access to Inappropriate content.
• Online child abuse and “Grooming”.
• Phishing emails that ask for personal information or that invites you to visit fraudulent or inappropriate websites.
• People hacking into or hijacking your account page.
• Viruses or spyware contained within message attachments or photographs.
You can avoid these risks and enjoy using social networking sites by following a few sensible and safe Social Networking guidelines:
• Do not bend to any peer pressure and do not do something you are not comfortable with.
• Do not publish any identifying information about yourself – either on your Social Networking Sites or in your any of your posts – like phone numbers, pictures of your home, workplace or school, your address or birthday.
• Use a username that does not include any personal information.
• Always set up a separate email account to register and receive mail from that site. So in the future, if you do want to shut down your Social Network account, simply stop using that email account as well.
• Always use strong passwords.
• Keep your Profile closed and only allow your friends to view it.
• What is said online stays online forever! So do not say anything or publish pictures that might later cause you embarrassment.
• Never post comments to either individuals or groups of society that may cause them any offence, etc.
• Warn friends to be careful what they post about you, or reply to your posts, particularly about your personal details and activities.
• Many companies nowadays view current or prospective employees Social Networking pages/profiles, so be careful about what you say and what pictures you may post.
• Learn quickly how to use these sites properly by using any or all of the privacy features to restrict strangers any access. Be guarded about who you let join your network.
• Be on guard against any Phishing scams, fake friend requests, posts that are inviting you to visit other pages or sites.
• Remove any corresponding “likes and apps” permissions from your account, if you are unfortunate to get caught up in a scam.
• Make sure you have an effective and updated antivirus/anti spyware software and firewall running before you go online.